Friday, February 15, 2008

Day 33 - First meal

It is right to keep counting days? Maybe I should have started back at #1 when I moved into modified juice feasting...ah well. I think it still counts. I'm still ingesting only fruits and veggies and a few supplements. It's just that some are solid now while others are still in liquid form. Mostly I'm eating what could be called green baby food, so it ain't like I'm back on french fries or anything. Not that I have any plans on doing that ANY time in the near future!

So today was a momentous day! After four days of smoothies, soups (essentially savory smoothies) and juices, today I ate my first salad. It was DEEEEELicious. But I also felt mixed about it. Apprehensive about putting solids in my system after such a long time of easily digestible meals. After years of bad digestion I really don't want to go there again. In order to make it a good experience I did a few things. First I took time to make the salad, really trying to keep focused on the task of preparing the food with love. Then I blessed the meal and my body for taking it in. Then I took about 45 minutes to eat it, eating with chopsticks and chewing slowly to make sure I got the most out of it and digested it easily. I like eating salads with chopsticks for this reason. It forces you to eat one item at a time and taste each bite. Also there's something nice about eating with wood instead of metal. If nothing else, you'll never get that awful tang when the fork hits your teeth.

The past few days have been pretty great. I attended yet another juice party. This time the ladies juiced lunch at our friend Bronwyn's, who is just about to start her own 92 day juice feast! *snaps for Bronwyn!!* She will be blogging her experiences at: http://www.juicepulpnonfiction.blogspot.com
She bought a Samson juicer, which claims to do just about everything you ever need: make veggie, fruit and wheatgrass juice, make nut mylk, kim chi, pate, nut butter...you name it.
It's pretty much a magic machine. We put Samson to the test and he passed with rainbow flying colours!!! When I get enough money, that is the juicer for me. The juice was SO tasty (I have to admit, much tastier than blender made juice...not faster, but tastier). What Juices did we make you ask? Grapfruit, garlic, cilantro (heavy on the cilantro) I think this juice is one of the best discoveries of my feast. I used to HATE cilantro, now I adore it. And garlic with grapefruit is the weirdest but most surprisingly wonderful combination. Our second juice, for a Valentines special: blood orange and mint.

Here's Bronwyn, hangin with her new friend Samson.

All in all it was a fantastic party and we're sure to have many more over the next 100 or so days! Bronwyn is doing her feast in conjunction with The Global Juice Feast starting March 1. I haven't mentioned this yet and it's about time! David and Katrina Rainoshek are hosting the first Annual Global Juice Feast where people from around the world will be simultaneously juicing, healing and supporting each other through the online venue http://www.globaljuicefeast.com and within their local communities. It's very exciting! You can join the site for free and then go to http://www.juicefeasting.com for all the information on how to complete your juice feast. Whether you want to do it for 2 days or 92 it doesn't matter, everyone's just there to be a part of an amazing healing movement.

I have less than a week until I leave for Hawaii and I must say I'm getting very excited to see my family, soak up the sun and explore all the fresh produce to be found. I'm still feeling quite bright and full of energy. I had a little low point today, a result of getting too excited about being up and doing too much. But after a rest, some max stress vitamin B and dancing to a good hip hop song, I feel rejuvenated
and ready to get dressed up for a wacky mesh party taking place in Victoria tonight. There's nothing like taking the worst style ever and making a theme out of it, it's gonna be hot!

Yesterday I had a fantastic Valentines. I decided that since this past year has been the year of dating myself, it was only fitting to take myself out for some fun. I bought a lovely pair of earrings, attended a super cute art opening at Studio 161/2 in Fan Tan Alley (check out the show Frankie n' Eddie, it's great!) and then went to a pub with a bunch of other singles where we exclaimed over our joy at being free and unnattached, writing our thoughts in heiku. The best one of the night was Jenny's:

Stinky boys ugly
I used to like them a lot
Lately, not so much

Happy happy Shmalentines to you all. I say we officially make it the day of loving ourselves!

1 comment:

julia said...

Hi Ariel !
I've only been back on your blog today which is great in the way that it gives me a real "before/after" impression.
I took time to read all your posts from day-2 to day 33 while I was having lunch (totally not in the moment of eating, so much for the zen inspiration) and I want to tell you this:
It's wonderful to see you're doing so well !!! Your glowing through your skin and your words and I'm verry happy for you !
hugs from french ju'