Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Day 31


I love smoothies! I love greens!

The past two days have been wondrous. Somehow transitioning back to blended smoothies has caused this shift in my energy and a great sense of wellbeing. I'm feeling clean and strong while at the same time really enjoying the flavour and texture of these simple, wholesome, delicious smoothies. I'm still starting my day with water, MSM and lemon. Followed next by a big glass of green green juice. That routine is one I hope to continue as I've never really liked eating something with density in the first couple of hours after waking. I used to start my day with a cup of sweet, milky black tea. It would give me the comfort factor, but then I would feel dopey and puffy and my blood sugar would inevitably crash a few hours later. Starting with a green juice does the opposite. I feel even and happy and hopeful. Then around 10 am I make my lovely smoothie, with all sorts of scrumptious ingredients. Here's an example recipe of my favorite smoothie:

1 c. blueberries or blackberries
1 banana
1 apple or pear
1/2 Lb spinach (about 1/2 big bunch)
1/2 c. filtered water
1 tsp spirulina
1 Tbs E3 live
1 tsp maca powder
1 Tbs Greens plus
1 Tbs bee pollen (best food in the world! thank you bees)
a pinch of celtic sea salt (good minerals)

Blend it up nice and smooth! (jack even blended the blackberry seeds, *snaps for jack*) I've been eating my smoothies in a bowl with a spoon. This is great to give a sense of "eating" instead of drinking, it encourages me to chew (which is important even when you're ingesting liquid because it stimulates your digestive enzymes) and the bowl trick slows me down.

It is a beautiful sunny day here in Victoria and I feel so...alive! I know, what a cliche I've become hey? One of those damn happy people! Out to tell you how I changed my life and now I feel great, bla bla bla. Well guess what, it's true! Not that there aren't days which are hard. It's just, I guess my thinking around challenges has changed this year. I've had to breath and be patient through so many long, drawn out discomforts; whether it was extreme fatigue, depression, feeling isolated, gaining weight, sitting in excruciating meditation postures, having terrible indigestion...well you get the picture. It's like anything; when you go through something really difficult it's the most amazing experience because afterwards you appreciate just feeling okay. NOT being in pain is amazing! But I guess sometimes it takes extreme pain to teach us that. Sometimes I think most of us get sick in order to learn this lesson, and it's one of those lessons we seem to have to learn over and over. I'm know I haven't seen the last of my friend Pain, but how I greet him is different. I don't want to scream "Go Away!" and hide under the covers anymore. Now I want to sit down and have a chat, find out what he's here for, listen to him as patiently as I can and wish him well when he's got it all out of his system. I guess what I'm trying to say is he's gonna come and go so I might as well enjoy the sunshine and fresh fruit. Sorry Graydon, I just can't pretend to be a cynic anymore. I guess I just juiced that girl right out of me.

Love and warmth to everyone. May you make the most of whatever moment you're in!

PS. It seems every day I find about 5 more links to other inspiring bloggers. I know the list is getting long, but please, check them out, there is a wealth of knowledge, recipes and excited people to eavesdrop on out there.

1 comment:

michele said...

Hey ariel, i am not sure if you remember me...my name is michele wood from Kaslo(and most recently we met up in nelson). i am on the juice feast path and was delighted to see you are alive and well in the www! drop a line if you want, rainydaybrown@canada.com
ps, your photos are amazing! especially the ones of amber!